Monday, January 21, 2008
Saturday, January 19, 2008
I don't think I'm a slow knitter - my time is just limited with a 1yr old, a high stress job that requires a lot of hours, and a need for 8 hours of sleep each night. So while most other people are looking ahead to spring and summer, I'm still working on finishing my winter projects! I've not found the right cotton yarn yet that gives enough not to hurt my hands (any suggestions?) but I do very much like cotton yarns. I got my shipment from WEBS from their year end sale. I must admit, I'm a little disappointed with the yarn choices I made. I guess the pictures looked better online than what I selected. I know I took a chance - but I wanted to try something different since I always seem to buy the same type of yarn.
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Et Voila! Ze perfect ice cream cone cup-a-cake-ah, no? Well, actually no again. Its still so freakin frackin top heavy guess what happened after I took this picture? (oh and notice the back up cupcake in the background - that little worker cupcake is holding up the star of the show there!)
The cake is so heavy (read - deliciously moist) that it can't stand up!?! An ice cream cone you can't stand up! Grrr. My dear husband, always supportive replied, well maybe you're just supposed to hold them........its honestly too much cake to eat and the proportion of frosting to cake just isn't right. Darn it!So, here's some calorie free cupcake goodness for your viewing pleasure! mmm. Pinapple supreme cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. *oh! and replace the water in the batter with pinapple juice. wow.
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Anyway, dh is racing in Charlotte, NC this weekend so I'm a single parent for Fri and Sat. He left early on Friday, and after racing all day Saturday, he will drive home and be home in the wee hours of Sunday morning while we are all fast asleep. It should be interesting and I hope the kids and I will have a lot fun. I've got some things planned for Sat to help the hours go by and keep them occupied. We may make a pizza together - they both like to be part of it. Maybe do a movie night with popcorn and all of us lined up on the couch eating popcorn. I'll light the german smoker for them to ooh and ahh over and I'll try to enjoy a glass of velvety red merlot.
Lainey is spending most of her day antagonizing the puppy - she hugs him so hard he yelps in pain. She doesn't understand why he runs from her when all she wants to do is love him. She looks hurt everytime we check to make sure the dog is still breathing. I think he does enjoy it - just a little bit.
Sunday, January 06, 2008
1. What is your favorite way to drink cocoa? I don't have a preference - sometimes I don't have time to prepare the milk - but I honestly like both. I've never made home made cocoa - so I wouldn't know - but it sounds fun! I definitely make it in an oversized, heavy MUG. I love mugs.
2. Marshmallows or whipped cream? I love both. Whipped cream is a standby for my coffee too, and I just tried Williams Sonoma chocolate marshmallows - OMG. what a dream!
1. What is your favorite type of yarn? Worsted - I live varigated yarns and like solids too. The colors I like currently are varigated pink/brown/cream, greys, dark blue, chocolate browns, greens, but I also like those colors when they're varigated with brights like light blue, fuschia, apple green. I also love pinks, dusty lavendars, apple greens, duck egg blue.
2. Do you knit or crochet (or both)? I knit exclusively.
3. What are your favorite type of needles, would you like to try something new? I love my addi turbos, my bamboo and birch for baby yarn/projects. And always willing to try something new!
4. Do you have a healthy supply of notions? I don't have a ton of notions - I'm personally trying to find the perfect row counter. Kids always steal mine. I like the ka-ching. don't have a tape measure, don't have many needle protectors, have a few stitch markers, so no - don't really have a lot of notions.
5. What one thing do you keep thinking you need to buy for your knitting habit (outside of yarn)? those interchangable needles or the knit picks needles - but still not sure.
6. What is your favorite 'quick knit/crochet' pattern (quick gratification) I like making baby hats - the strawberries, watemelons, pumpkins, the quick circular needle baby cap.
1. What is your favorite thing to do in the Winter? Cook, knit, read magazines, watch movies, all by a nice fire.
2. What is your favorite animal? don't have a favorite but I like- bunnies, cats, marine animals (I live on the coast), you know - the basics. I don't like octopus (wow - what's the plural version of that? octopi? lol) , jelly fish, eels, nothing creepy crawly. ewww.
3. Do you get the 'winter blahs'? Definitely.
4. What is your favorite way to beat the blahs? Cook and knit by the fire with a hot cup of anything.
5. What is the thing you are most looking forward to this spring? Planting flowers, planting tomatos and basil in my garden, sitting outside by the pool.
6. What are your favorite treat? I love dark chocolate.
7. What is your favorite board game?
8. Do you have any children (furry or human)? Yes - have 2 children, boy 6, girl 1. Son has a new puppy - miniature dachsund named "Luke." I think I prefer cats - not used to the potty training thing for dogs. Cats just handle it themselves.
9. Do you have any allergies or special considerations you partner should know about? No allergies, no special considerations!
I wonder sometimes who is reading this blog and I want to get to know who is! I look around a lot but I need some feedback! My comments are lonely! I also just think contests are fun so I'm really looking forward to this! The contest will run for the rest of January. On Jan 31st, I'll randomly draw one winner.
To enter, all you have to do is leave me a comment with your name - share your blog if you have one - and I'd love to know what YOUR favorite things are! Refer someone to the contest and if they mention your name in their comments, you'll get an additional entry. Now, I know I'm not Oprah, but I do like her favorite things show - simply b/c its nice to know what things are really great things! My sisters and I do a much cheaper version of this at Christmas. So do my girlfriends. We get each other very little things - stuff that costs less than $30 on average, and just just buy each other our favorite things so the others know what's a good buy, good color, good product!
For example, my sister Moosie bought all of us this:
-A handmade cosmetics bag (she made herself) great color, perfect size.
-Trader Joe's "Shave" in Honey Mango. Its shave balm (she says its great-and we don't have Trader Joe's here yet in Va Beach)
-Bisous Provance Green Tea triple milled soap also from Trader Joe's. And it does smell amazing - not so much green tea - but its reeeally nice.
My sister Shelly bought us:
-the perfect shade of burgandy red OPI nail polish for our pedicures in "an affair in red square."
And what was one of my favorite things this year? I bought them big 'ol hot chocolate mugs with Lindt hot chocolate and another favorite - from Target - they have a toffee almond hot chocolate that is simply the BEST I've ever had! Its seasonal, but oh my gosh, so wonderful! Some of my other favorite things this year:
1. Karabella Aurora 8 Bulky - what an awesome yarn! My favorite yarn is Karabella aurora 8, and they also make it in bulky. Took something perfect and made it bulky. Love it. I'm making this Elan wrap (free pattern) out of an lusterous charcoal grey right now...
2. I-cord maker - "Embelish-knit" was a favorite thing from my sister. Now I make i-cord trim, ties for baby hats, all kinds of things. Love it. buy one.
3. Williams Sonoma Chocolate marshmallows - I had no idea how those things handmade marshmallows melt and have that amazingly, creamy, thick, chocolate topping for your hot chocolate. simply wow. I've now learned that's only a christmas seasonal thing too. They carry vanilla and chocolate only at christmas like these.
4. Benefit Bad Gal Lash. Need I say more? right consistency, no clumping, big brush. worth the $$.
5. Benefit High Brow. This pencil is really cool. You draw a quick line under your eyebrow and you look like you have an instant eye brow lift. I bought this for my sister too and she couldn't believe it and is now in love with it too.
6. Schick Intuition. The cartridges are expensive and they go fast, but so worth it when you want a perfect shave. Seriously, my legs are never smoother than when I use this.
7. RockBand bundle/game set. We got this for my son for Christmas. Oh my gosh, what a fun family thing to do. Son is the singer, I am the drummer, dad is the guitar player. We have so much fun playing this together.
8. Ravlery.com. Need I say more - I'm obsessed and well organized there. Just can't say enough good things.
So get posting and the winner will get some of my favorite things: An EmbellishKnit I-cord maker and some yarn to go with it! Can't wait to hear what you all come up with! Please try to say where you got something if its not going to be easy to Google - ok? Cool!